Background Information - Job-specific
Under the guidance and supervision of the Senior Finance Associate, the Finance Assistant supports the provision of financial services within the support services function, ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Finance Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations.
The Finance Assistant works in close collaboration with the Programme, Project and Support Services colleagues in the local office as well as the UNOPS HQ colleagues, to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Accounting and administrative support
- Implementation of operational strategies and procedures
- Knowledge building and sharing
Provide accounting and administrative support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist within proper control of the supporting documents for bank and balance sheet reconciliation and financial reports.
- Follow-up with field finance users, UN entities and financial institutes for information relating to payments and invoices.
- Prepare routine correspondence, bank reconciliation report, following standard operating procedures.
- Maintain the proper digital filing system for financial records and documents.
- Assist field offices by performing monthly bank and investment reconciliations for all their accounts.
- Assist with the preparation of monthly and quarterly reports for any unreconciled transactions at the bank level.
- Monitor the prepaid and MasterCard transactions and, in case of any suspicious payments, promptly escalate to the supervisor.
- Assist with prepaid and MasterCard monthly reconciliation and prepare the Bank to book reports for submission to HQ.
- Flag any discrepancies with bank statements or the cash book, liaising with the Treasury team to rectify issues.
- Assist with reconciliation of UN entities’ and financial institutes’ statements on a monthly basis and prepare the adjusting entries for gain and loss.
- Help improve controls and systems to help capture financial information.
- Maintain accurate records (hardcopy and online) of all relevant documents for easy reference and retrieval.
- Assist BSSC by performing ad hoc administrative duties, as needed, to support the office operations.
Ensure implementation of operational strategies and procedures, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of financial processes and financial records with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the Finance-focused trainings
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Completion of secondary school or equivalent.
- A BA or MA degree may substitute required years of work experience.
- Specialized training in finance desirable.
- 3 years of relevant accounting and financial experience at national level is desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (G Suite) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems are desirable.
- Fluency in written and oral English
- Knowledge of the second UN working language is desirable.