Under the functional supervision of the Finance Manager, the overall direction of the Head of Support Services, and technical guidance of IPAS Finance, the Finance Specialist provides advisory, management, and planning services to ensure compliant planning, administration, and management (including budget, treasury and cash management) of UNOPS Geneva financial resources; and maintains oversight and control of Programme financial activities, providing value-added advisory services.
Summary of Key Functions
- Implementation of operational and financial management strategies
- Budget management and organization of the cost-recovery system
- Control of office accounts
- Control of office cash management
- Team Management
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures the implementation of operational and financial management strategies, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Advice to senior management on strategic financial resources management
- Authoritative interpretation of requirements for handling transactions advice and guidance concerning UNOPS’ financial practices and rules.
- Operational efficiency of the managerial or accounting aspects of the areas managed.
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for projects.
- Full compliance of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and audit follow up with UN/UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies and IPSAS standards.
- Implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of the financial resources management system.
- Proper management of the contributions management and accounting for contributions to ensure that funds due to UNOPS are properly identified, consistently and uniformly classified, recorded on a timely basis and received with sufficient supporting documentation.
- Performance of appropriate role in Enterprise system for transactions approvals and bank reconciliation.
- Approvals authority of pending disbursements (cheques, bank transfers, EFT) and bank reconciliations.
- Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions.
- Member of bank signatory panel.
- Proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources, including extra-budgetary income in accordance with UNOPS rules and regulations
- Control of the workflows in the Finance Unit.
- Elaboration of the framework and conditions of contributions within the Business Unit’s resources mobilization efforts.
- Elaboration and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies.
- Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and investigates anomalies or unusual transactions.
- Informs supervisors and other UNOPS colleagues at Headquarters of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
Manages the project budgets and organizes an optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Financial resources management through planning, guiding, controlling of the resources in accordance with UNOPS rules and regulations.
- Preparation and monitoring of budgets of management projects.
- Establishment of the development projects’ budgets preparation/modification monitoring system, control of budgetary status versus authorized spending limits (ASL) and budgets delivery levels.
- Sending project budget to KK if authorized by the Senior Management (can be done only on the basis of signed documents and project budgets).
- Elaboration of proper mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in budget management.
- Preparation of cost-recovery bills in Enterprise system for the services provided by UNOPS
Ensures proper control of accounts focusing on achievement of the following results in compliance with IPSAS and UNOPS policies and procedures:
- Elaboration of the internal expenditures’ control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Enterprise system; payrolls are duly prepared; MPOs, travel claims and other entitlements are duly processed, receipting of goods and services and establishment of accruals are properly done
- Timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site.
- Proper management of the contributions management business process and accounting for contributions to ensure that funds due to UNOPS are properly identified, consistently and uniformly classified, recorded on a timely basis and received with sufficient supporting documentation
- Manager level in Enterprise system.
- Control of accounts closure
- Approval of vendors in Enterprise system
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Control of the Accounts Receivables for UNOPS projects and maintenance of the General Ledger
Ensures proper office cash management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions. Provision of information to supervisors and other UNOPS staff at HQ on the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
- Daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Enterprise system to monitor imprest level; identification and record of contributions.
- Primary contact with local bank management on routine operational matters including negotiation of exchange rate on replenishments.
- Member of bank signatory panel.
- Timely and accurate approval of bank reconciliation, including documented review of exceptions.
- Initiation of bank transfers and deals, selecting bank transfers and deals for approval and settlement.
- Performing Paycycle manager role in Enterprise system
- Timely preparation of monthly cashflow forecast for use by Operations Manager. Liaison with UN Agencies to obtain estimate of their cash requirements.
- Cash disbursements made on sites.
- Facilitate the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective recruitment, work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development.
- Provide oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices.
Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Organize, facilitate and/or deliver training and learning initiatives for personnel on finance related topics.
- Lead, approve and conduct initiatives on capacity development and knowledge building for Finance personnel, including network development, plans, learning plans and activities, Finance practice information and best practice benchmarking.
- Oversee team’s contributions to Finance knowledge networks and communities of practice including collaborative synthesis of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources management.
- Guide team’s collection of feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
- CPA or Advanced Degree or equivalent in Finance, Business Administration or related fields is required.
- A First University degree in combination with a minimum of seven (7) years’ qualifying experience, may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum of five years of professional-level experience in providing financial management services and accounting with responsibility for project accounting and preparation of financial statements in an international organization is required.
- Knowledge of UNOPS financial rules and regulations is desirable.
- Proficiency in computers and office software packages and experience in handling web-based management systems is required.
- Experience with Enterprise systems including OneUNOPS is desirable.
- Some experience in UN system organizations is desirable.
- Fluency in English is essential.
- Knowledge of French is an asset.