About the role:
This is a new 4-year, unaccompanied position based in Mogadishu, Somalia, with frequent travel to Nairobi, Kenya, and occasional travel to Hargeisa, Somaliland. The Salary Grade is 4 (€39,219 - €43,577).
Reporting to Concern Somalia’s Programme Director, you will line manage the EIDACS Programme Manager (EU funded Durable Solution (DS) Programme) and DFID funded DS Programme staff and Field Coordinator. You will work closely with: EIDACS Consortium Coordinator, Education Coordinator, WASH Coordinator, Programme Managers, Somaliland Area Coordinator, Finance & Logistics teams, M&E Unit, Grants & Information Manager, HQ Technical Advisors, Desk Officer, Consortium counterparts and local partner NGOs.
This role is responsible for leadership of all Somalia Durable Solutions (DS) programmes, in keeping with wider DS initiatives for Displacement Affected Communities (DACs) across Somalia. It includes managing Concern’s new £5.5 million (2018-2022) DFID-funded Enhancing Conditions for Durable Solutions for IDPs and Returning Refugees in Somalia programme, as well as our ongoing EU Trust Fund supported DS programming in South West State, Somaliland and Jubaland State (2017-2020).
The coordinator will represent Concern on all DS-related consortia bodies and oversee quality programming and relationships, including documentation and dissemination of learning and DS-policy influence at State and National levels in Somalia.
Concern Somalia is a key actor in efforts to address displacement and support the attainment of durable solutions for IDPs, Returnees and Host Communities. The DS Coordinator will help ensure Concern approaches to DS attainment infuse frameworks such as Inter Agency Standing Committee (IASC) DS framework, Regional Durable Solutions Secretariat (ReDDS) Solution Framework and the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF). The person will develop and support decentralized decision-making structures for adaptive programming.
Some of your responsibilities include:
- Provide strategic leadership in Durable Solutions programming approaches and methodologies.
- Create a strong team of core DS programme staff, implementing partners and strategic stakeholders, ensuring a common understanding and consistent approach.
- Provide technical support to all DS-related Concern Somalia programming and staff.
- Assume overall responsibility for Concern’s DFID-funded Enhancing Conditions for Durable Solutions for IDPs and Returning Refugees in Somalia Programme and EUTF Durable Solutions programmes.
- Lead Durable Solutions reporting, communication and visibility, proposals and fundraising efforts
- Work with Finance team to ensure sound financial management including oversight of programme budgets, regular review of management accounts, expenditure reporting and compliance.
- Work with Logistics to ensure timely procurement in line with donor and internal requirements.
Management of Partner Relations
- In consultation with Partnership Advisor and Programme Director (PD), provide/source expert support for partners; ensure clear contracts, update capacity assessments, respond to capacity-building needs.
- Work closely with EIDACS PM, Field Coordinator and Partner Support Accountant, to monitor partner activity progress and critically review reports (financial and narrative).
Human Resource Management
- Identify staffing needs and ensure timely recruitments. Strengthen capacity of DS programme staff.
- Line manage, support and mentor Baidoa-based EIDACS PM and Field Coordinator.
- Ensure and promote compliance to Security, Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policies.
External Relationships and Funding
- Represent Concern as a strategic thinker and technical leader in Somalia DS work in external fora.
- Work with Concern Grants Manager, TAs and advocacy teams to develop, produce and disseminate DS technical-advocacy pieces for donors and external stakeholders.
- Represent Concern in EUTF- and DFID-funded DS programme Technical Working Groups.
- Maintain effective relations with donors, consortium members and Consortium Management Units.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
- Provide overall vision and leadership for Concern’s DS measurement efforts: process & outcome monitoring, Value for Money, Return on Investment analyses, log-frame indicator value updates.
- Lead DS team development and tracking of annual and quarterly work plans. Ensure staff regularly gather and document activity and output data, as well as key learning and recommendations.
- Provide technical support to the M&E unit in designing and conducting DS-related surveys; support sound data analysis and lead strategic adjustment of work plans and key decisions.
Required Skills and Experience
- Degree in International Development/Relations, Rural/Urban Planning, Development Studies or other related field; Relevant degree at Masters level desirable.
- 3-5 years’ humanitarian/development programme management in complex, insecure environments.
- Awareness of unfolding developments, trends and challenges in the Durable Solutions field.
- Evidence of strong, proactive leadership in complex multi-stakeholder contexts, including Consortia.
- Critical thinker able to apply learning towards effective programming.
- Experience interpreting data and writing high quality reports to a rigorous technical standard.
- Excellent English language communication skills: report and proposal writing, negotiation, networking, influencing, public speaking and facilitating workshops at different levels.
- Experience developing and managing complex donor budgets (EU and/or DFID ideally).
- Experience working through and supporting local partner organisations and of remote management.
- Prior experience working in/on Somalia or East/Horn of Africa
- Professional experience relating to migration mitigation, camp management and/or the development of durable solutions for displacement affected communities.
- MEAL knowledge and experience
- Working understanding of Accountability and the Core Humanitarian Standard.