Programme Management and Oversight Specialist
United Nations Population Fund, Dakar, Senegal
Closing Date for Applications:
The Programme Management and Oversight Specialist works directly with the Team Leader of the Quality Assurance and Broker unit of the West and Central Africa Regional Office (WCARO).
The Programme Management and Oversight Specialist ensures proper resources management through prudent budget planning and allocation for WCARO and its Country Offices, with continuous preventative oversight for optimal results, transparency and accountability. S/he monitors and reports on their performance and results; and ensures quality assurance and compliance with corporate strategic plans, programming policies and procedures, and reporting requirements.
Key Results Expected of the Specialist:
- Enhanced programme performance and accountability at WCARO and Country Office levels through effective monitoring and oversight.
- WCARO AWPs and OMPs timely prepared and effectively implemented and monitored.
- Enhanced capacity of COs through timely GPS services to provide leadership and high-quality technical advice on the formulation of innovative programme strategies and projects.
- Improved monitoring and implementation of annual evaluation and NEX audit plans in WCARO region.
- How You Can Make a Difference:
- UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
- UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in program results.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced university degree in public health, medicine, sociology, demography, gender, economics, international relations, international development, public administration, management or other related fields.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Seven years of increasingly responsible professional experience in developmental work, of which five years must be at international level.
- Substantive knowledge and practical experience in population, sexual and reproductive health, and gender programming.
- Strong communications and writing skills in English and French.
- Field experience is required.
- Excellent knowledge of issues pertaining to multi-donors funding, related reporting systems, especially within the context of large fiduciary funds administered by the United Nations system.
- Excellent knowledge of computer standard applications (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Ability to handle effectively multiple tasks without compromising quality, team spirit and positive working relationships.
- Cultural sensitivity, inter-personal skills and ability to work smoothly under pressure.
- Fluency in French and English is required.
- Working knowledge of Portuguese would be an asset.