Programme Management Office Senior Officer
United Nations Office for Project Services, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
BACKGROUND INFORMATION - UNOPS
- UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
- UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
- UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
- With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
- UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
Background Information – Asia Regional Health Cluster
- The Asia Regional Health Cluster (ARHC) was established in 2018 for efficient delivery of grants and fund management, and the provision of quality pharmaceuticals and health products. The ARHC aims to significantly impact the targets of UN Sustainable Development Goal 3 on good health and well-being, by expanding the population benefitting from UNOPS-managed health-related engagements across the Asia Region.
- The ARHC portfolio manages the PR Programme of the Global Fund, which has been providing financial support to the GMS countries for Malaria programs since 2003. Global Fund has selected UNOPS as a regional PR, responsible for delivering the targets set out in the grant agreements in collaboration with selected sub-recipients (SRs) from the National Programmes, local and international NGOs, the private sector and other UN agencies. UNOPS in Cambodia is currently the Principal Recipient programme (PR) for the Regional Artemisinin Resistance Initiative (RAI).
Background Information - Job-specific
- The Principle Recipient programme (PR) under the UNOPS Asia and Pacific Regional Office has been established to support, develop and oversee UNOPS’ programmes implemented with Global Fund financing in the Region to ensure that synergies between different programme components are effectively developed.
- The PR’s Cambodia team works in close cooperation with all PR teams in the Region, managing all grants in a coordinated fashion, including country grants for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria as well as Regional Principal Recipients of GFATM regional grants for Greater Mekong sub-region (Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam).
- Under the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator and provision of the support to Programme and Finance Support Officer, the incumbent will technically and functionally perform the following specific duties and responsibilities for UNOPS implemented projects:
- Ensure the compliance of the project and financial implementation by focusing on the following results:
- Serve as focal point for audits and prepare required documentation
- Prepare annual audit calendar, develop work plan and audit ToRs and coordinate with UNOPS/PIP/SRs on audit scope and checklist
- Facilitate internal and external audit exercise for UNOPS/PIP/SRs and ensure timely submission of all audit requirements including reports
- Provide support to audits conducted by UNOPS' Internal Audit and Investigation Group
- Conduct investigations in close cooperation with UNOPS' Internal Audit and Investigation Group.
- Analyze audit finding and prepare audit follow up action plan
- Carry out regular monitoring and performance review on the effectiveness and efficiency of the overall project implementation (Programme, M&E, PSM, Finance), assess risk areas, document lessons learned report and provide on time update, facilitate solutions and make appropriate recommendations for improvement
- Ensuring the achievement of project objectives and outcomes; assess reliability and integrity of project and financial management
- Monitor and provide technical support on the implementation of previous audit recommendations and provide regular update status reports to the management
- Provide guidance and technical advice on audit to ensure minimal audit findings and risk exposure and work closely with the reporting and capacity building team and other units
- Maintain compliance standards by determining project implementation conformity with rules and regulations of UNOPS and Global Fund
- Advise the management about any suspected misconduct in the project implementation
- Other duties may be assigned by the PR Programme Coordinator for UNOPS Cambodia.
Strengthen the capacity and relationship between UNOPS and SRs on program management by focusing on the following results:
- Identify training needs, develop training programs and materials , provide guidance and conduct specific training sessions to UNOPS/PIP/SRs on audit processes, common findings
- Contribute to capacity development activities – organizational development for UNOPS/PIP/SRs
- Undertaking assessments of financial systems, risks and performance of UNOPS/PIP/SRs through carrying out analytical work and assisting with capacity building and providing support on all aspects of financial management including relevance project management
- Conduct financial management capacity assessment of implementing partners upon extension of agreements.
- Provide advisory services on audit related matters.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of professional practices within the UNOPS Cambodia Global Fund PR Office and any grants/projects implemented by it.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices and sharing with relevance units
- Support to senior programme coordinator on partnership development, donor/public sector liaison and contribution to business development forums
- Assist in high level coordination with various partners, including Global Fund Country Team, CCC, public sector and other stakeholders.
- Monitor and track of all GF performance letters through joint coordination with the Senior Management Team to develop management responses.
- Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s or equivalent) in accounting, finance, audit, business administration, economics, commerce or related field
- First Level University Degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in above fields in combination with additional 2 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of Master’s degree.
- Professional certification in CIA, CFE, CISA, CPA, ACCA or CA are an asset.
- Minimum 2 years of progressively responsible for internal audit, finance and/or operations experience with an international organization in providing operations and financial management services.
- Significant experience with internal auditing practices; tools and techniques; and the assessment of management systems and practices, financial and internal controls, and utilization of resources is required.
- Strong experience of working with general accounting principles and best practices required.
- Prior auditing experience, either as an auditor or auditee will be preferred.
- Experience in project management, Procurement and Supply chain Management would be an advantage.
- Experience of working in the UN system and familiarity with UNOPS procedures an advantage.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English is desired.