The WBG Finance & Accounting (WFA) Vice Presidential Unit is responsible for all aspects of the financial reporting and internal control framework for the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), and the extensive Trust Fund/Partnership portfolio of these entities. WFA also leads the client shared service function for the WBG corporate expenses and WBG trust funds, and ensures fiduciary responsibility for all disbursements related to Bank operations.
WBG Trust Fund and Loan Operations Department (WFATL) in WFA provides a number of financial operation activities, notably financial services, compliance, disbursements, accounting, and analytics for IBRD/IDA loans and Trust Funds.
WFATL consists of two divisions, each managed by one manager. The first division (Client Service – WFACS) is devoted to providing “front-end” client services and related operations to business and external clients, and is organized along business lines serving the regions and global practices. The services within the area of responsibilities of this division fall under three categories: regional coordination, country focal point assistance, and project-level fiduciary and portfolio management. The second division (Account and Corporate Services -WFAAS) is focused on supporting the transactional activities associated with the implementation and closure of loans or trust funds, including account maintenance, disbursement transactions, help desk and trust funds and loans accounting and reporting. These two divisions work closely and collaboratively with one another.
The Client Service Division (WFACS) is seeking a proactive, highly-motivated Senior Finance Assistant (SFA) to be integral and active members of its client service team to be based in Chennai, India.
Duties and Accountabilities
The SFAs’ primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following activities:
Transaction support services:
- Support the Finance Analysts in the processing of certain types of disbursement transactions, including the logging of manually received withdrawal applications.
- Setting up of the loans’ master data in the Bank’s system (iLAP) and the periodic updating of data for changes such as: category overdraw; changes to Designated Account ceilings; fulfilment of Loan Effectiveness Conditions; loan Closing Date extensions; reallocation of category amounts; etc.
Electronic banking support services:
- Guide and provide technical support to the Bank’s borrowers in the setting up of their e-Disbursement / Client Connection user accounts.
- Provide on-going training and technical support to the Bank’s borrowers on the efficient use of the Bank’s electronic banking platform.
Client relationship maintenance:
Serve as a friendly and supportive solution provider for advice to the Department’s internal clients (task teams, financial management specialists, procurement specialists, legal counsels, treasury etc) and external clients (Borrower governments and their Project Implementation Units [PIUs]) on routine queries pertaining to their loan portfolios and transactions.
- Handle transaction processing and review work of Central Services such as Refunds and Adjustments, Special Commitment, Financial Intermediary Financing Trust Funds and Carbon Trust Funds.
- Provide support to the Central WFACS-TF team on Centralized Grants implementation.
Helpdesk support services:
- Acting as a first point of contact for the Department’s clients (both those within and outside the Bank) on routine queries and inquiries pertaining to the loan portfolios. Respond to and guide the clients on the resolution of their queries.
- Operating the Department’s Helpdesk, including assigning and/ or resolving the tickets created in the electronic Client Relationship Management (eCRM) tool.
- Collaborate with the Department’s Country Teams (comprising of Finance Officers and Finance Analysts) and experts in the Community of Expertise (COE) to provide guidance and feedback to clients on their queries.
Data analysis and knowledge management services:
- Providing analytical reports on the nature of / trends in the queries and inquiries received from the Department’s clients to assist the Country Teams and WFACS management in decision-making.
- Maintain a repository of knowledge in the eCRM tool based on the reference materials for answers to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Systems and applications:
- Planning the development and testing of enhancement tasks and upgrades to applications.
- Prepare Business Requirement Document and user acceptance testing for business-driven priorities.
- Provide administrative support to the Team Lead in the running of the day-to-day administrative activities in the Asia Hub, Chennai center – such as storage of the manually received withdrawal applications, handling incoming and outgoing mail, ordering for office supplies, organizing the logistics for team meetings and other team events etc.
- Appropriately handle other tasks that may be assigned by the WFACS management.
The candidate should meet the following criteria:
- Minimum Education: A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Commerce or Business, Associate Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India would be preferred.
- Work Experience: At least 3 years of relevant experience in: processing of transactions; supporting the use of electronic banking; maintaining client relationships; and a helpdesk support function.
- Language skills: Ability to communicate effectively, in writing and orally, in English is required.
- Relevant knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), internal controls and financial management.
- Ability to exercise professional judgment and appropriately interpret and apply operational policies, as they relate to disbursements and loan portfolio management.
- Strong quantitative skills with superior attention to detail and numerical accuracy.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills with demonstrated ability to interpret data, assess issues, develop sound conclusions and formulate remedial measures.
- Ability to manage routine tasks, deal with rapidly shifting priorities, provide professional support to senior staff and deliver against ambitious deadlines.
- Capacity to work simultaneously, effectively and efficiently on a variety of diverse issues and tasks, independently adjusting priorities and achieving results with agreed objectives and deadlines.
- Ability to operate effectively in a matrix management environment.
- Strong client focus including good interpersonal, diplomatic and team building skills required for building and maintaining collaborative relationships and engaging courteously with clients and team members.
- Willingness to travel on mission and short-term assignments.
The preferred candidate must demonstrate the following competencies:
- Deliver Results for Clients: Contributes to delivery of results for client on their routine queries and support needs.
- Collaborate within Teams and Across Boundaries: Keeps others fully informed to ensure integration and work consistency.
- Willingness to work in different time zones – Given that the division is co-located in multiple cities in different time zones, candidates must be willing to work in different time zones based on the locations of the Department’s internal and external clients on an ‘as-needed’ basis.
- Lead and Innovate: Brings new and different insights.
- Create, Apply, and Share Knowledge: Actively contributes to and readily applies WBG’s body of knowledge for client solutions.
- Make Smart Decisions: Leverages available data and makes timely decisions.
- Client Understanding: Looks at issues from the client’s perspective and takes action beyond normal expectations to ensure client satisfaction.
- Project Management: Demonstrates a practical knowledge of project management principles and techniques.
- Analytical Thinking: Interprets data and reviews for non-conformity and gathers further information in response to problems.
- Policies and Procedures: Seeks out opportunities to further the understanding / improvement of relevant policies and guidance.
- Risks and Controls: Demonstrates good understanding of risks and internal control procedures pertaining to various activities in own functional areas.
- Information Technology (IT) and Systems: Leverages information technology systems and applications to improve productivity and efficiency. Has ability to learn new IT systems quickly and to trouble shoot common IT system issues.
- Communication: Utilizes appropriate tools and techniques to explain technical information in plain language.