UNDP strives to have a workforce which reflects diversity and gender balance and applies an equal opportunities approach. All selection is on merit.
The Climate Change, Resilience and Energy (CCRE) portfolio of UNDP is organized around the thematic areas of climate change adaptation and mitigation; disaster management and resilience; and access to clean and efficient energy. The technical consultant with work directly under the supervision of Chief, CCRE, and support the initial implementation of the GCF project on “Enhancing Climate Resilience of India’s Coastal Communities”.
This project supports the GOI to enhance the resilience of lives and livelihoods of the most vulnerable populations, particularly women, in the coastal areas of India to climate change and extreme events, using an ecosystem-centered and community based approach. The project aims to advance climate change adaptation across India’s coastal zone, with major gains for resilience in the three target states – Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Odisha.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the initiation of the project on “Enhancing Climate Resilience of India’s Coastal Communities”
- Coordinate the inception workshop to be taken place with the initiation of the project and prepare and assist in the finalization of the Inception report.
- Facilitate the setting up of the National, State and district level Programme Units, responsible for implementing the project at varous levels.
- Assist in orienting and sensitizing staff on project objectives and outcomes as well as immediate deliverables required for kickstart.
- Coordinate the initial implementation of the project between the three states and respective state partners – Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Odisha.
- Assist in the overall supervision of developing the baseline assessment reports from hired consultants.
- Any other responsibility assigned by the supervisor.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the organization
- Job Knowledge/ Technical skills
- Good technical knowledge on climate change, energy and resilience
- Excellent technical and analytical writing skills
- Excellent project development skills and understanding project management
- Decisiveness, independence, good judgment, ability to work under pressure
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Master’s degree (or higher academic qualification) from a recognized institution in Environmental Sciences/ Environment Management/ Sustainable development /Social science / public policy.
- At least 8-10 years of programme / project development and management experience. Experience on working with large, multi-scale projects and organisations is preferable.
- At least 5-7 years of relevant post Masters experience at the national level on climate change and relevant programmes.
- Outstanding communication, project management and organisation skills
- Experience of working with Central and / or State Governments on similar assignments will be preferred.
- Familiarity with the working environment and professional standards of international organisations and national and state governments
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems is essential.
- High-level of IT/computing skills (minimum: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to prioritize assignments and requirements, and multitask as needed;
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to integrate technology into various aspects of the project for planning, rollout and monitoring
Language Requirements: Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and Hindi is essential